CIF Southern Section Goals for School Year 2023-24
* Denotes Existing Goals from previous years that continue in 2023-24
* Denotes New Goals for 2023-24
* March 19, 2024 – Responses to 2023-2024 Goals (Existing and New)
1. Continue to Enhance Communication Between the CIF Southern Section Office, Member Schools, and the Executive Committee
- Expand the use of social media in communications with member schools, the public and media outlets.
- Continue to enhance the mobile version of the website including links with social media platforms.
- Publish periodic Messages from the Commissioner on Southern Section website and all social media platforms.
- Prepare and distribute frequent Executive Committee Updates.
- Directly communicate information by email to entire section membership and selected groups.
- Offer opportunities and conduct personal interviews with media members from throughout the various geographic areas of the section.
- Conduct Fall Workshops at various geographic locations throughout the Southern Section.
- Conduct Athletic Director Workshops in the Winter.
- Conduct League Coordinator Workshops in Fall and Winter.
- Continue official’s recruitment program utilizing section website and social media platform.
2. Title Sponsorship/Media Rights/Linear Television
- Secure a multi-year title sponsorship agreement.
- Secure a multi-year media rights agreement.
- Secure the opportunity to televise CIF Southern Section sports on a linear television platform.
3. Continue Implementation of CIFSSHome 2.0 for CIF Southern Section Member Schools – Year 2
- Along with staff, facilitate numerous training sessions for member schools.
- Along with staff, provide ongoing training and assistance to member schools daily.
- Continue to develop and expand features of CIFSSHome 2.0.
- Explore the feasibility of a “Data Hub” to assist coaches and athletic directors to input scores on multiple platforms all at once.
4. Investigate & Implement Opportunities for Students with Disabilities to Participate
- Refine and promote current Unified Track and Field Championship events.
- Develop and Implement event(s) for students with disabilities to participate at our CIF SS Swim Championships
5. Implement Girls Flag Football as a CIF Approved Sport
- Establish rules to be followed over the season.
- Initiate registration process for member schools.
- Identify format and qualification for the potential Championships.
6. Implement/Ratify New Rules Changes
- CIF Bylaw 212.
- CIF Bylaw 510.
- CIF Bylaw 207/504 – Transfer Eligibility/Season of Sport – with respect to students who transfer to a CIF member school from an academy program.
- Constitutional Amendment Article 22 – Conditions of Membership, Participation Census by member schools.
- Support the ratification of an amendment to Bylaw 3519, Playoff Groupings – Competitive Equity, which would change the current playoff grouping system in many of our sports to a same season grouping system similar to the one currently being used in Football.
7. Provide Professional Growth Opportunities for Member Schools
- Launch Year 8 of the MVP AD Program.
- Conduct CIF Southern Section Athletic Administrators Summit.
- Provide Administrator, Athletic Director, and Athletic Trainer Tracks during the summit.
8. Financial Matters
- Expand CIF Southern Section investment opportunities under approved CIF Southern Section Investment Policy.
- Along with CIF Sports Properties, increase revenue share in Year 7 of the CIF State Marketing Plan.
- Continue online ticketing, through the GoFan platform, for all Southern Section playoff events.
- Continue to facilitate official’s payments for all Southern Section Playoffs from the section office through Arbiter.
- Facilitate the distribution of grant monies received from the California Department of Education in support of the organization’s mission and member schools.
- Continue to promote and onboard member schools to receive all payments from the CIF Southern Section electronically via Automated Clearing House (ACH) network instead of mailing checks.
9. Examine and Explore Issues Involving Public and Private Schools
- Continue to work with the CIF Southern Section Public/Private Committee on an ongoing basis.
- Continue to work with the Private School Leadership Advisory Committee on an ongoing basis.
- Continue to engage in a constructive dialogue with member schools, both public and private, on public/private issues.
- Serve as a resource for member schools, leagues, and areas of the CIF Southern Section by attending league meetings, area meetings and athletic director association meetings.
- Continue to emphasize adherence to the current CIF State Constitution and Bylaws and CIF Southern Section Blue Book rules that apply to all schools.
- Implement and evaluate amendments to CIF Bylaws 212 & 510 related to NIL and recommend edits to the 510 Chart.
10. Work Cooperatively with the CIF State Office and the Other 9 Sections
- Generate a sectional identity that provides leadership, along with being cooperative and sensitive to the needs of the CIF and the other sectional organizations.
- Develop strategies that recognize and support the needs of the CIF and the other sections without sacrificing the strengths and interests of the CIF Southern Section.
- Serve as a resource, along with members of the CIF Southern Section Staff, to the CIF State Office in the management and conducting of CIF State Regional and CIF State Championship events and other State Committees.
- Rob Wigod (Commissioner Emeritus) – Director, CIF State Football Championships.
- Mike West – Member, CIF State Sports Medicine Advisory Committee.
- Kristine Palle – Member, CIF Constitution and Bylaws Editorial Committee
- Thom Simmons – Director, CIF Southern Regional Basketball Championships
11. Expand Relationships with the National Federation of State High School Associations
- Along with staff, serve on various national committees affiliated with the National Federation of State High School Associations.
- Kristine Palle – Chair, NFHS Water Polo Rules Committee.
- Thom Simmons – Southern Section Coordinator, NFHS Network.
- Assist the NFHS Network in implementing the Pixellot for All Program.
- Assist in content creation for the NFHS.learn site in the production of a new “Officiating Water Polo” instructional video.
- Fund a scientific study conducted by DePauw University to determine the safe use of backstroke starting ledges in the Spring of 2024.