Code of Ethics
NFHS/CIF Southern Section Code of Ethics for Officials
Officials at an interscholastic athletic event are participants in the educational development of high school students.
As such, they must exercise a high level of self-discipline, independence and responsibility. The purpose of this
Code is to establish guidelines for ethical standards of conduct for all interscholastic officials.
As an official, I understand that it is my responsibility to:
- Master both the rules of the game and the mechanics necessary to enforce the rules, and shall
exercise authority in an impartial, firm and controlled manner.
- Work with each other, the state associations and the sections in a constructive and cooperative
- Uphold the honor and dignity of the profession in all interaction with student athletes, coaches,
athletic directors, school administrators, colleagues and the public.
- Prepare myself both physically and mentally, shall dress neatly and appropriately and shall
comport myself in a manner consistent with the high standards of the profession.
- Be punctual and professional in the fulfillment of all contractual obligations.
- Remain mindful that my conduct influences the respect that student-athletes, coaches, and the
public hold for the profession.
- While enforcing the rules of play, remain aware of the inherent risk of injury that competition
poses to student-athletes. Where appropriate, I shall inform event management of conditions or
situations that appear unreasonably hazardous.
- Take reasonable steps to educate myself in the recognition of emergency conditions that might
arise during the course of competition.
- Support the principles of Pursuing Victory with Honor and uphold the Six Pillars of Character:
A copy of this form must be kept on file with the Unit President of each Official’s Sport Association and each Unit’s
Statement of Compliance must be on file at the CIF Southern Section Office.