Administrative Assistant I
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To assist Section management staff, primarily the Assistant Commissioner, by planning, coordinating and participating in the support activities related to the assigned responsibilities of Section administration. Employees in this classification receive limited supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. This job classification performs a wide variety of responsible secretarial/clerical functions, administrative support services related to specific operations and programs of the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section and emphasizes a variety of public relations and “people” communication skills. Performance of these responsibilities requires initiative, organizational skills, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, discretion, sound judgment and shall be performed at a professional level of competence and with due diligence.
SUPERVISOR: Assistant Commissioner
- Support the mission statement, goals and objectives of the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section.
- Serves as a secretary to the Assistant Commissioner and assists and supports them in all phases of their responsibilities.
- Assist and support Section management staff (Commissioner, Director of Communications) as needed.
- Processes administrative details not requiring the immediate attention of Section management staff.
- Performs varied and responsible secretarial duties to assist in the processing and completion of administrative operations.
- Arranges committee and other meetings, as needed, preparing agendas, minutes and/or summaries of actions taken for appropriate approval and distribution.
- Serves as the official Recorder at all CIF Sac-Joaquin Section realignment meetings, assisting in the preparation of agendas and minutes.
- Types a variety of confidential materials including reports, memos, correspondence, forms, newsletters, and letters from oral direction, handwritten copy or clear draft.
- Greets and interviews visitors/telephone callers and either answers questions concerning Section business, activities and programs or refers person(s) to another source for information.
- Receives and resolves concerns and complaints using knowledge of CIF Sac-Joaquin Section rules, regulations, policies and procedures or refers person(s) to another source for information.
- Distributes material and information to member schools as directed by management, inclusive of the management and publication of the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Annual Calendar.
- Coordinates the accounting and distribution of NFHS rulebooks to CIF Sac-Joaquin Section member schools and NCOA officials.
- Assists the Assistant Commissioner in the review/edit and preparation of all CIF Sac-Joaquin Section playoff formats.
- Coordinate various aspects of CIF Sac-Joaquin Section playoff management including but not limited to: securing facility contracts, other ancillary services and key sponsor representatives.
- Coordinate, plan, organize and manage various CIF Sac-Joaquin Section events including but not limited to: Women in Sports Day, A. Dale Lacky Scholarship/Model Coach Awards Breakfast, Football Championship Luncheons.
- Gathers, organizes and maintains, via database, various data from member schools. Responsible for verifying proper reporting of information and preparing reports.
- Assists in the organization and preparation of materials/information for various CIF Sac-Joaquin Section events including but not limited to: Administrative Workshop, New Athletic Director Workshop, NFHS LTC Courses.
- Coordinates, oversees and manages the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section wrestling weight management program.
- Assists in the inventory, preparation and distribution of CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Championship awards.
- Assist the office staff with general clerical help including but not limited to: maintenance/operation of office equipment and maintenance of office supplies.
- Represent the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section at various playoff events as assigned and needed.
- Undertake and perform other duties/responsibilities as may be assigned by CIF Sac-Joaquin Section management staff (Commissioner, Assistant Commissioner, Director of Communications).
- Modern office methods, procedures, practices and technology, including filing systems (both manual and electronic), receptionist/secretarial and telephone techniques, and letter/report writing.
- Proper English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and punctuation.
- Standard office equipment inclusive of: fax machine, copy machine, mail machine, calculators, computers and printers.
- Computer software and database programs, inclusive of Macintosh-Apple, Microsoft Office suite (word, excel, power point, outlook) and file maker. Preferred knowledge of InDesign and web page (not required)
- Perform a variety of secretarial and clerical work.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Learn and understand the operations, procedures, policies, bylaws, rules and regulations of the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section and its role as it relates to the governance of high school sports.
- Interpret and apply pertinent Section procedures, policies, bylaws, rules and regulations and apply them with good judgment in a variety of situations.
- Prioritize and coordinate work flow and time lines so as to meet established deadlines or due dates. Compile and maintain accurate and complete records, reports and files.
Compose routine correspondence independently.
- Plan, organize and coordinate a variety of projects.
- Make arithmetical calculations quickly and accurately.
- Maintain the confidentiality and security of sensitive information.
- Take dictation using shorthand or other reasonable means to produce written copy from oral communications quickly and efficiently.
- Operate standard office equipment including computer, printer, copier and calculator.
- Effectively utilize computer and computer technology – Mac proficient, experience with Microsoft Office suite (word, excel, power point, outlook), file maker. Preferred experience in InDesign and web page.
- Type at a speed of at least 50 wpm from clear copy. Understand and carry out oral and written directions. Perform independently and in a team environment.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively within a team environment.
- Meet the public tactfully and courteously and answer questions correctly.
- Maintain regular attendance.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the performance of required duties.
- The highest personal and professional ethics and standards.S
- ensitivity to and understanding of a diverse population.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills.
TRAINING / EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training and experience that indicate possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed herein. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be three (3) years of previous experience in administrative and office support work including at least two (2) in a secretarial capacity.
Completion of a college degree or equivalent (Preferred but not required).
LICENSE / CERTIFICATES:
- Valid California “C” Driver’s License and evidence of appropriate insurance.
- Valid CPR and First Aid Certificates (or ability to obtain).
- Typing Certificate
DESCRIPTION OF PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Medical Category I:
- Position requires normal physical strength and endurance for standing, sitting, bending or walking.
- Work assignments are normally located in a work environment with light physical work and require light physical effort.
- Lifting 25 pounds maximum or carrying any object weighing over 20 pounds.
The CIF Sac-Joaquin Section does not discriminate on the basis of color, race, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, ethnic group identification, mental or physical disability in its educational programs, activities, or employment. All educational opportunities will be offered without regard to color, race, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, ethnic group identification, mental or physical disability.
No person shall be denied employment solely because of any impairment, which is unrelated to the ability to engage in activities involved in the position(s) or program for which application has been made. It is the responsibility of the applicant to notify the employer of any necessary modifications to the job or work site in order to determine whether the employer can reasonably accommodate any known disability.
The Sac-Joaquin Section maintains a tobacco-free, drug-free environment